[Coco] Copying a data/binary file from disk to cassette

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:01:18 EST 2008

The reason for the ! exclamation mark is that the basic programme when
(C)SAVEd to tape or disk is tokenised. This means that each BASIC keyword is
converted to one or sometimes two bytes. When your coco1 comes across these
tokens, it searches a look-up table for them to convert back to text. If it
can't find them in the lookup table, BASIC prints the ! to show that it
doesn't know that token.

Your data files should be able to be copied from disk to take with something
like the following psuedo-code:

open the disk file for reading
open the tape file for writing
find length of disk file (use LOF)