[Coco] Copying a data/binary file from disk to cassette

Phil phil.salathe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 21:40:04 EST 2008

Hi, all --

What's the best way of copying a non-BASIC file, like a .bin, from
disk to cassette?  I tried COPY but setting a value of -1 returns a
function error (COPY "FILE.BIN:0" TO "FILE.BIN:-1")...and I was never
very good at GET, PUT, DSKI$, and all that.

I've got some data files on floppy, associated with various programs,
that I'd like to transfer to my laptop (via cassette adapter).  And
going in the other direction, I'd like to turn some .bins I have on
disk images into WAVs so that, again going via the cassette adapter,
I can try out some games and such on real hardware.

Obviously one way would be to use CSAVEM, though I don't know how to
determine the correct memory addresses from which to start and end,
and I don't think that would work for non-executable data files
(would it?).

So, what's the best route?  I feel like I'm missing something
obvious, so forgive me if I'm being slow here...

Thanks --
Phil

P.S.  I got some unexpected results when I CLOADed BASIC files
written for Coco 3 (and turned into WAV files to export/import via
cassette adapter) into an emulated Coco 1.  Specifically, all the
Coco 3 commands in the programs, like HSCREEN, became exclamation
marks!  Fortunately, I just reimported the WAV into an emulated Coco
3 and made my disk images that way, but I'm surprised that the Coco
would edit the programs on the fly, though I guess I can imagine why
that would be.