[Coco] MM/1 RTC RIP

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:45:49 EST 2008

hello, MM/1 users (sorry for the bandwidth usage, you coco chaps)

I just found out that the RTC chip in my MM/1 has died. Actually, it's not
the chip, since setting the time will work until the next power down, so
it's the battery. The MM/1 uses a Dallas DS1287 integrated clock/battery,
*and* it is soldered into the IO board. GROAN.

What to do?
I did some googling and came across this:
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm

This will work, but I still need to desolder the clock chip, or at the very
least do a *very* careful job of gringing the relavant parts. Sadly I don't
own a dremel tool.

Does anyone else have experience in this?

the capacity to be his spokesman,
so that I know how to help the weary.