[Coco] Projector-3 .asm encoder driver

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Jan 21 20:54:48 EST 2008

Robert,

I wrote the P-3 format driver for the .asm picture format.  It writes
out an .asm file full of CCASM fqb's such as "fqb $FFFCABDB" for 192
lines of graphics x 160 bytes.

I haven't figured out yet how to handle the color remapping (P-3 to
the game palette), but the game uses a Windows-similar set of colors
where 8 are primaries and secondaries, which P-3 also uses but are
probably in different slots.  This should be no problem to cure
shortly.  I can probably just put the same palette in P-3 and add it
to the menu of palettes to choose from.  Dithering or not, the colors
will match the indices for the game.

After a bit of work, I am now LOADM'ing the Jeweled game, the
backdrop image of the rough diamonds is loaded into MMU blocks
$30-$33 and during the game a PCLS causes the backdrop to copy to the
main screen, then everything is overlayed.  It works like a charm.

The port.exe tool was used after I exited P-3 to call up the picture
disk where the backdrop.asm file is, and a copy to Windows was done
real quick.  A 120k file sits there in Windows that I can copy over
to my game folder, and a bit of typing is needed to handle the
LOADM/MMU segments.  The source code is already separated into 3 8k
blocks and a 6144 byte block.

Major milestone, here.  Porting awesome graphics into games has now
become a 5 minute job at the most.  I haven't done anything for
breaking a P-3 image into a sprite grid, but I'm sure that's coming
soon.  :)  What does this mean?  Existing sprites found on the web
can be used (with optional editing), to use for games.

I'll send the P-3 driver file when I feel it's ready enough to
share.  I need to add more comments and such, but it's pretty straightforward.