[Coco] Duplicating Copy-Protected Games (Z-89)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Jan 15 10:20:42 EST 2008

You can keep the copyright AND allow copying, of course. I too, think
it's plain irrational to hold onto all the old code. The copyright laws
have been screwed up by big corporations (mainly Disney) who do have
legitimate claims. Just think if Disney lost the copyright for Mickey
Mouse? The law needs to have a clause that ends copyright protection
after a period of non-use (commercially). In other words, if the company
isn't using it in something now, or doesn't use it for a period of time,
it should expire. Something like trademark registrations -- they expire
after a certain period if not renewed by the registrar. I wouldn't want
to have to renew copyrights, but that might be what's needed. If a
copyright was initially granted for a 10 year period (at least for
software), with 10 year renewals, that would at least cover most of what
we are discussing. Then if someone died or a (company went out of
business) and their estate (or succeeding company, if any) didn't renew
at least the work would go to public domain then. For literary and
artistic works (such as music)  the initial period should probably be
longer, a 20 or 30 year initial period, maybe, then 10 year renewals. Or
just have it 10 years period.

Another reason for a blanket long term copyright is so that the
government won't have to keep records -- saves tax payers money.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"