[Coco] Duplicating Copy-Protected Games (Z-89) (Was: Coco Digest, Vol 55, Issue 22) (Steve Bjork)

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Mon Jan 14 10:28:27 EST 2008

Steve,

I agree with some of your points and disagree on others.

I don't disagree with the concept of copyright law, an author should be
able to secure rights to make money on his or her work for a LIMITED time.

However, what we have with the current copyright situation has already
become a perversion of what I understand the framers of the Constitution
originally envisioned. A "limited time" does not mean "till the end of
the universe, minus one day" (something akin to this was said by one of
cronies involved in one such "extension" of copyright in recent memory).
Any reasonable person's definition of "limited time" would not be this.

Furthermore, it is my stance that with the case of computer software,
the period of "limited time" should be very limited indeed - somewhere
in the neighborhood of 10-15 years seems appropriate. In that time,
technology (and people's needs and tastes) can easily advance to the
point where any such software is no longer thought about or used, even
if a platform capable of supporting it exists. For instance, would I, as
an average consumer today, think about installing or using, say, Windows
3.11 for anything serious? Not likely.

When it comes to hardware generations, where it is nearly impossible to
even procure the necessary generation's CPU's (let alone all the other
interface chipset), or even floppy drive systems - one can't say that
full "ready to use" systems are easily available, even on Ebay - if that
were the case, then an Altair or an IMSAI could be considered viable
platforms for today (among two possible options).

Neither is, nor is the Color Computer.

Now, I can't legally disagree with the law as it is written - it is what
it is, warts, kickbacks, and all. It is what we the people have been
foisted, and if the common person understood (and cared a bit more) just
what it is being given up, they would recognize just what a piece of
legislation it currently is.

I would dare say that most former authors of software for old,
unsupported-by-thier-manufacturer computer systems understand and agree
with this, which is why so much of this stuff is in the public domain
now. There are obviously holdouts, such as yourself, who while they are
well within their rights to do so, are also hindering in some small part
the preservation of the past.

It isn't that there is precedent - indeed, this is why I am so fervently
against the way things are today. There are many arguments why current
copyright law shouldn't be applied the same to computer software, but
the strongest one should be the ability to learn from the past, and for
the preservation of historical context. In the past, while many older
systems have been preserved in a state where they will run (and no
copies of such systems CAN be found on Ebay), software for some of them
is virtually non-existant, and in some cases, it doesn't exist at all.
Many of these machines lie dormant, even though given the right software
they could run again. It is my contention that a software library of a
given architecture should be preserved as completely as possible for
that system as a part of its history - a computer isn't a computer
without software for it (one could argue the inverse as well - it mainly
stems from the idea that software is hardware virtualized, and hardware
is software made real - re, Universal Turing Machines).

We are losing a lot of our computing history, and in some cases
knowledge (only to be "re-invented/discovered" - and then copyrighted
AND patented!) - which could in many instances benefit today's budding
software programmers and engineers.

I think you and everyone else gets my point, so I won't belabor it any
longer.

With that said - will there ever be, Steve, a time when the community
could purchase your software rights and release the code (or at least
the products) to the public domain? Or do you intend to hold onto them
until your death, and pass them on ad-infintum (ok, maybe that is
rhetoric, but sometimes it feels this way) to your heirs? At which point
will they ever enter public domain? Will anyone even be around to care?
Will any system be around which could run those programs? Finally, what
would you consider fair payment from the community for this option?

These are real questions - while I can't personally purchase your
rights, I think the community would certainly like the understanding, if
not the opportunity, to do so.

I respect you and your work, Steve, but between you and Bill Vergona (of
CerComp fame), I sometimes wonder just why you hold on to this old code
so dearly for so little. You certainly can't take it with you...

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale, Arizona