[Coco] Duplicating Copy-Protected Games (Z-89) (Was: Coco Digest, Vol 55, Issue 22)

Sat Jan 12 20:44:14 EST 2008

Carl J. England <mrspock12 at juno.com) wrote:
> i didn't realize that the game [Z-89] was available as a download.
>
> has it been released to public domain?
>
> if so, i have no problem with sending you the files needed to create
> copies of the program.

As far as I know none of Steve's games, including Z-89, have been
released to the public domain.  Certainly I have seen no indication of
this on Curtis Boyle's CoCo games site.  To be honest, I'm not sure
what Steve's position is regarding his old CoCo games.  He obviously
makes no income off them anymore (i.e. you can't buy copies), so does
he take issue with people making unauthorized copies for personal
purposes, as long as no money is involved?

I bought a copy of Backup Magic a few months ago from Carl.  It seems
to have successfully copied some of my original, copy-protected
diskettes (e.g. Sinistaar), but fails to make bootable copies of other
(e.g. Time Bandit, Sailor Man).  So I guess there's still a place for
The Defeater.

JP