[Coco] [coco] Coco CNC

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 19:41:48 EST 2008

 Join the club, Bruce. I'm as excited as you are. As I progress through this
project, I'm also writing the software(B09) to do it. Problems occur and I
end up adding stuff that is already in the readily available software for
the "OTHER" computers, such as offsets and tool diameters and some other
things.
 The software isn't complex, yet. It's actually quite simple, but the
construction of this software isn't just a matter of tossing it together. I
add things as it becomes necessary.

  It's fun, difficult, heartbreaking, a pain in the ^$*! , quite fulfilling
and painfully slow. Sometimes I wonder why I am even doing this. It's so
much easier just to buy the stuff and put it together. After all, that's
what most people would do, even if they built the machine and connected the
store bought stuff to make it work.
  The only real difference between what I'm doing and what others before me
have done already is the computer and the associated electronics. However,
my mill is totally different from what I've found on the "net"... well,
almost totally.

  Danged near all of the machine is built by "Seat of the pants", build as
needed. There are very few drawings. All of which are the (what I call)
bearing blocks. Those are the parts that the roller bearings are mounted on.
I used(belive it or not) Paint Shop Pro to figure the dimensions based on
pixel distances. No CAD stuff here. PSP is free.

 People that know me in person, say I'm nuts. They say I could have got
Gilligan off of that island. I think that would have been easier than this
milling machine.

George

From: "Bruce W. Calkins"