[Coco] [coco] Coco CNC

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 10 23:25:27 EST 2008

On Sunday 10 February 2008, George Ramsower wrote:
>From: "Gene Heskett"
[...]
>> what ever video tally for position you might cobble up starts to get
>> noticeably sluggish.
>
> Quite a few years ago, I met a man that had a sign shop. He had a CNC
>machine that cut out text into such things as name plates, the formica type
>you see on doors and on desks and such. It ran from a '286 machine. It's my
>understanding that the '286 wasn't really that much faster than a 2mhz coco.
>However, this thing could spin up those steppers until they sang suprano. I
>suppose the plug-in card did most of the work of stepping and might even
>have done some of the math and other things. Who knows?
> He made the plaque for my main coco and did it for free.  It was my first
>experience on CNC stuff. I think it was fifteen to twenty years ago.
> Now that I think on this, it's hard to believe I've been using that coco
>for more than this length of time. WOW! That SCSI drive and the coco should
>be in the Guiness Book of Records, huh?

I think there are quite a few of us in that category, my original HD on a coco
2 was a 30 meg ST-506 RLL seagate, but it long ago succumbed to stiction and
alzheimers, as has the 120 meg Maxtor scsi 7120s that replaced it.  But I
still have a pair of old 10 meg Tandon's St-506's that spin up just fine,
along with the rest of the machine I used in my office at the tv station for
all those years.  Those Tandon's probably predate even the coco 2's I have
several of, along with at least 2 of the old grey ghosts.

So generally, among this group, I expect there are more than one candidate for
the Guiness Book.