[Coco] serial ports and thingsRe: moving files on bootup

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 7 12:10:39 EST 2008

On Thursday 07 February 2008, Willard Goosey wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 02:26:42AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>Yep, that was them.  My friend was NOT impressed with KIVA's service.
>Apparently they nearly all got lynched when they lost the signal for
>the broncos/cowboys superbowl...

I faintly remember that, I think I was already on a helicopter trying to get
to North Mountain and was being blown about 3000 feet back out over the
valley south of the peak by the wind anytime we got within 100 feet of the
place from any approach angle.  Repeatedly.  Larry was sweating at the
controls too.  I'd fly through hell with Larry, but that day he was asking
the machinery to do something it couldn't.  ISTR I finally got up there by
conning the power company who had a good sized snow machine, a Tucker I
think, that they really, really needed to read the meter up there since they
hadn't since October or some such bit of funnies.  Turned out the problem was
a powerline down in the middle of the next plateau north, Un-Cum-pau-gre,
when I finally got there about midnight.  Only 30 miles from Montrose, but
might as well be pure bad roads to the site itself.  Even in good weather.
In February? 5 feet of crusted powder on that no man allowed land.

>> FWIW, we were being fed from WTCO's cross country network system,
>> and our gear was more dependable than theirs.
>
>They must have been sending you a crappy signal, then.

Not really, when it worked, they were tapping their westbound NBC gear for 1/4
watt, shipping it our way from their site on the other end of the plateau
about 30 miles away.  We had a 5 9's signal from them 99.999% of the time.
Their trouble spot seemed to be east of us, so LA was often as SOL as we
were.  On that day, they had power (or a standby generator) and we didn't.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)