[Coco] leading to that CNC Coco machine

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 07:42:36 EST 2008

Correct. However, I won't be doing complicated work with this setup. What
really slows down the coco is doing arcs and circles. There won't be much of
that done so this may not even be an issue. If I were to draw a 2 inch
circle at the most precision the steppers can do, would take about 80000
steps to simply draw a circle.If I precalculate this circle in another
process and save the results to a file, the file might even be larger that
what I can fit on a floppy.  The coco can muster up about 800 steps per
second with the only math being addition or subtraction to make a straight
line. Using SIN to create a circle slows it down to about five steps per
second.  I expect if I have to carve a circle larger than about a half inch
on something, I'll find a way to fixture the part in my lathe.  Keep in mind
that the 800 steps/second is just a straight line on a single plane. If I
were to do a diagonal line of 45 degrees, then X and Y steppers would each
be doing about 400 steps/second and the match to this would even slow things
down more.

 My original intention for this mill is to make small gears and sprockets
using a rotary table and other tiny parts for my steam engine stuff.  I
expect I'll make a couple of parts and then abandon the idea of using a coco
and spend some money to put a PC and stepper drivers on it. Mainly, I just
want see if I can make a part using a coco to do all the work. The only
parts outside the coco to drive the steppers are power transistors and home
switches. Everything is done with coco, including the sequence of stepping
the motors. So the coco is pretty busy just stepping the motors.
 Right now, I have to get the permanent lead screw, nut and mount the
stepper to the X axis table. I have a temporary screw on it now so I can
machine the slide to accept the new screw. I have most the groove cut out
now, I have to make it a little deeper and make a pocket in it for the lead
nut assembly. Once the lead screw is done, I can mount the working table
onto it and get started. The working table is 6 X 6 X 1/4 inches. Small
indeed. A micro mill is usually a bit larger than this so I suppose this one
is could be called a nano mill ;-)