[Coco] EPROM question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 7 01:23:31 EST 2008

On Wednesday 06 February 2008, Joef6809 wrote:
>Does anyone know how long an EPROM can retain its memory. I remember from
> the data sheets that the stored data will degrade over time but I don't
> remember how long it is. I'm asking as I just bought a Radioshack Videotex
> terminal from Ebay and oddly enough it has an EPROM instead of the mask rom
> I had expected. BTW does anyone else on the list have one and does it also
> have an EPROM? Thanks.

Depends on how well programmed it was, and how much light has gotten into the
window.  Direct sunlight and its making mistakes in 3 days, well erased in 2
weeks.  Anytime I come into possession of something with an eprom, I make
sure it works, and put a layer or 2 of Scotch 88 tape on the window.

That would be 20-25 years old now, so I'd tape it if it isn't anyway.  I've
heard the chip makers claim 100's of years, in an old lead box.  New lead
still has some alpha in it.

And no, I don't have one of that particular item.  Sorry.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)