[Coco] serial ports and thingsRe: moving files on bootup... and more nonsense and OT stuff

James Hrubik jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 15:58:29 EST 2008

Heh.  Yeah.  I had a '60 Chevy with a 235ci six that burned oil so
badly that toward the end I was running SAE90 green gear lube in it.
When I was starting kindergarten, every school in town was still
burning coal -- you would go to school in the morning with a pristine
white snow cover and come home at lunchtime with a black surface from
the soot.  And all people have to complain about nowadays is ozone
and carbon dioxide!  And cigarette smoke?

On Feb 6, 2008, at Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 2:30 PM, George
Ramsower wrote:

>>> From: "Gene Heskett"
>>>
>> We had generators in the shacks at the KOTA owned links from
>> Denver to Rapid
>> City & back south to KDUH, but the only way we knew they were
>> being used was
>> when they ran out of propane (or oil & locked up), the power had
>> been out for
>> a week then.  Little 2 cylinder Onan's, stick a crowbar in the
>> flywheel after
>> filling them up with oil and break them loose and they were as
>> good as new
>> usually.
>
> My 4KW Onan RV gen-set was full of water when I got it(free). Had
> to use a chisel to loosen the rust in the cylinders and keep
> bumping the flywheel until the rings managed to break through the
> rust. Then some sandpaper on the valve seats and a hammer on the
> valve heads to knock them back down when they would stick... until
> finally it would start. Ran it a few hours and now it's okay for a
> backup. It uses a little oil now, but who cares? It only gets used
> in emergencies.
> I suppose if I had to use it for days at a time, I could use a
> siphon to the crankcase to keep it in oil. HEHE!
> I'm reminded of a guy many years ago that had a Studebaker that
> used oil so bad, he ran a tube into the passenger compartment so he
> could pour oil into the engine while he was driving. Now THAT'S
> extreme. Along about then, I had a Mercury Meteor that the blowby
> was so bad, it got into the passenger area and I had to run a flex-
> tube from the crankcase ventilator into the air filter housing.
> Some of the oil would blow back into the engine and the rest went
> up in smoke onto drivers behind me.
> Ah... those were the days.

+||||||     HRUBIK APPRAISAL SERVICES     |||||||+
+||||||     James C. Hrubik, Sr., RAA     |||||||+
+||||||   Appraisal & Appraisal Review    |||||||+
+||||||  Consulting & Litigation Support  |||||||+
+||||||         V/F-(330)745-8435         |||||||+
+||||||           C-(330)472-3023         |||||||+
+||||||    jimhrubik at earthlink.net        |||||||+
+||||||  http://www.hrubikappraisal.com   |||||||+