[Coco] serial ports and thingsRe: moving files on bootup

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 6 12:21:43 EST 2008

On Wednesday 06 February 2008, George Ramsower wrote:
> [...]

Inter City Relay, similar to an STL, which is a Studio Transmitter Link.
Same exact radio in fact, but a slightly different frequency, still in the
7GHZ band though in this case.  Nominally 1 watt of rf power out, big 10 and
12 foot, one was even 16 feet, dishes facing each other at ranges up to 90
miles if both are at high altitudes. Std stuff, but in this case Elmer Nelson
designed and built them.  At the time he did it, there was not a commercially
offered radio at any price that you could lock up in a mountain top shack in
late August, knowing a failure would happen at any time, and not get back to
until June the next year without a $300/hr (1970 prices) helicopter ride, if
the chopper could get that high, North Mountains 11,800 was about the ceiling
for a Huey.  Generally, with Elmer's stuff you could get away with a 9 month
lockup.  That klystron failure was unusual as they tend to live 10+ years.
All mill-spec tubes used, 10-100x more dependable than what was in your tv
back then.  Nobody else used the good stuff.

Nowadays it would be transistorized, but our early experiences with solid
state were a disaster, tubes can usually stand a lightning strike 10 feet of
power line away on a mountaintop, where transistors were instant history.

We had generators in the shacks at the KOTA owned links from Denver to Rapid
City & back south to KDUH, but the only way we knew they were being used was
when they ran out of propane (or oil & locked up), the power had been out for
a week then.  Little 2 cylinder Onan's, stick a crowbar in the flywheel after
filling them up with oil and break them loose and they were as good as new
usually.  We finally did design a tally that told us the generator was
running and where but never got that kit in Farmington as we (KIVA-TV then)
didn't have the generators either.

More than you wanted to know. :)

--
Cheers, Gene