[Coco] serial ports and thingsRe: moving files on bootup

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 6 02:26:42 EST 2008

On Wednesday 06 February 2008, Willard Goosey wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:06:43AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> You don't want it.  We had one for a cbs message machine for several
>> years.  I very regularly overheated and died, must have had 10
>> motherboards, 3 drives and 3 or 4 monitors to keep it running for 8
>> years.  Heatwise a very badly designed case.
>
>Ghaa, I have enough trouble with overheating computers as it is.
>
>> Stations?  Only one when I as there, KIVA-TV.
>
>*shrug* May have been before your time there.  Lets see... Jammed all the
>signals from Albuquerque, frequently lost their signal, once during a
>Super Bowl (a true sign of impending death for any TV station :) and
>only had three movies to show when their reciever was down?
>
>Willard

I was there from fall of 77 to the fall of 79.  And I can tell you a story
about walking up North Mountain in the middle of the night to put a new
klystron in the icr transmitter there.  About 15 degrees, 4 feet of fresh
powder with a 30+ mph wind blowing it to South Dakota.  Carrying a toolbox, a
scope, and a tube caddy. 3, maybe 4 miles.  Wind was up to then 50's at the
peak where the shack was at 11,800.  Thank God for the snow poles every 75
feet or so sticking up out of that whiteout, I had no trouble finding the
shack, or the chained up bronco back down at the access gate when I was done
about 3am.  There were NO footprints to follow, they were gone 1 second after
you took your foot out of the hole in the snow.  But a glance up and you'd
swear you could have reached up and scooped up a big handfull of stars, no
snow in the air, it was all waist high and below..

FWIW, we were being fed from WTCO's cross country network system, and our gear
was more dependable than theirs.  Made by Tepco in Rapid City, KOTA's Chiefs
side business.  So I already knew all about the gear since I'd helped
assemble & tune it years before when I was at KOTA.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)