[Coco] moving files on bootup >> leading to that CNC Coco machine

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 3 06:17:45 EST 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008, Willard Goosey wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 03:45:33PM -0800, Kevin Diggs wrote:
>> >Gene Heskett said the other day."a coco doing actual work!"
>>
>> I remember reading this. Don't think it was Gene though. He has
>> "stitched" various home brew do-hickies together at the TV station. At
>> least one of which was a coco.
>
>That was me, and I was being sarcastic.

You forgot the smiley.  Hope I didn't bore some of you with that story.

>The CoCo was (and still is)
>quite capable of real work, not that anybody ever convinced Tandy of
>this... :-(
>
>And, man, I'd love to get my hands on some of the homebrewed hardware,
>especially Boyle's 8-port serial cards. Think about it a moment: A
>CoCo with 8 serial ports.  A boy can dream.

8 serial ports?  That would have to take some sort of a multiplexer I'd think,
cuz each needs a 4 byte wide I/O address space, so that would eat up $20
bytes worth of I/O addressing space that's in extremely short supply thanks
to tandy's crappy decoding for the PIA's that should have gotten the board
designer a new job sweeping the floor.  Or did Boyle fix that as part of his
kit?  Incidentally, this is the first I've heard of it.  Heck, I'd shoot the
neighbors cat for a RocketPort 8 for this linux box!

>Heh, don't mind me, I've got a serious weakness for computers with
>*lots* of serial ports, and I'm going to go sit in the corner and
>drool for a while. ;-)

Is there room for two if I bring a towel? :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)