[Coco] Computer learning tools (was: Coco4..Who needs it? I do.)

Paul E. Jones paulej at arid.us
Wed Dec 31 16:42:24 EST 2008

James,

My son has a Lego Mindstorm NXT robot.  While I am quite interested in it --
pretty cool with the Bluetooth interface and programmable microcontroller --
he is far less interested.  The reason is that if he creates something, he
can't share his creations.  He gets more enjoyment out of scripting on video
games sites and updating his own web site.

I think it is the aspect of sharing what you have and what you do that helps
entice his interest and what I believe can help build a community.

He could get into things like Visual Basic or C++, but both of those present
huge learning curves.  There's a lot to be said for being able to create
something fairly easily and then sharing that with somebody who can build on
it.  It was precisely that kind of thing that helped me as I started
exploring computers.  Magazines like Hot Coco and Rainbow were wonderful,
with all of the sample programs, hints, and tips.  CoCo user groups sprang
up all over.

Whatever gets produced, I think it needs to have that same kind of impact.

Paul