[Coco] Going Forward with our hobby

N8WQ exwn8jef at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 15:07:26 EST 2008

Packet is not dead. It is certainly not as popular as it was though. On
HF radio 300 baud is the norm and on VHF frequencies 1200 baud is the
norm (this doesn't include "backbone" frequencies which typically
operate at 2400 or 9600 baud. I don't believe packet radio is
unreliable. What make it slow sometimes is what is called a "collision."
When two or more stations are operating simultaneously on the same
frequency packets can collide with one another and slow down the
transfer rate but these collisions can be compensated for up to a point
by adjusting various parameters in the TNC (terminal node controller)
firmware. My main reason for operating packet is to participate in the
ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency System) to handle emergency message
traffic. Now days the prefered mode is called PACTOR.  PACTOR 2 and 3
are the prefered modes especially for HF and Marine radio systems.

Thanks for your reply James and letting me know I am not blowing smoke!
As long as it is solder smoke I don't mind. :)

Alan Jones

--
N8WQ - Canal Winchester, Ohio
http://exwn8jef.googlepages.com/home