[Coco] Why do we need a CoCo 4? (Long irrelevant rant)

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Wed Dec 31 01:23:47 EST 2008

This is an interesting discussion topic. Lots of folks have wildly
differing ideas of what a CoCo 4 should be.

I'm curious what you would do with a CoCo 4 if Steve or James gets one
together for us to play with.

I would prefer a CoCo 4 be an extremely compact (size of a full-length
pak) and somewhat faster computer with lots of I/O and absolutely no
video at all. I'd probably have it boot Nitros from a flash ROM and use
it for embedded stuff like alarms or HVAC control- something akin to
what George does with his CNC-CoCo.

My rationale for that is that we already have super-complex PCs
thousands of times faster than a CoCo for general purpose computing
tasks, but not so much a simple and yet sophisticated low-power system
that can be used for embedded-type applications.

So, again, if you had CoCo 4- what would your preferred use for it be?

(and "just to play with" is as valid a reason in my book as any, to be
clear)