[Coco] More progress

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 00:14:09 EST 2008

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Lothan wrote:

> The primary psect directive is defined in cstart.a/cstart.r. This is in
> nitros9/3rdparty/packages/cc/sources/cstart.a:
>
> psect cstart_a,$11,$81,Edit,Stk,_cstart

Wouldn't you know it... The one I grabbed (also from the NitrOS9 tree, but
in a different spot) had zeroes there.  But, interestingly enough, all the
linker cares about is that the language/type byte not be zero.  Seeing
that, the linker itself ensures that the correct $11, $81 sequence ends up
in the generated binary.

Indeed, if you look above that line there's a define for 'Typ' of 1.  By
making that line

  psect cstart_a,Typ,0,Edit,Stk,_cstart

everything just works fine.

> If I can find all the right pieces, I'll update my ancient cc1 with the newer
> one that calls rma and rlink instead of c.asm and c.link. I haven't done much
> with it lately because MESS doesn't seem to like my Logitech diNovo Edge
> keyboard for some reason.

I have it working now.  At least, it's generating what appears to be a
proper binary.  I'm calling it a day and will try running it on the CoCo
tomorrow.

At this point, a shell script is working fine as a compiler driver.  I'll
take a look at that various cc front ends once I know this is all
operating as planned.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!  Much appreciated.

Steve