[Coco] VCC 1.40 or "other mechanism" question

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 28 10:45:45 EST 2008

Ed Orbea wrote:
> I have a BASIC program (saved as ascii text on my windows system) that I
> want to run on my CoCo3 (real or emulated). I have VCC 1.4 loaded on a
> USB drive (so I can play CoCo games anywhere), as well as a real CoCo3
> (Disto controller, 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives, MPI, 512 memory upgrade)
> I am also a registered user of Drivewire and Roger Taylor's excellent
> Rainbow IDE.
>
> Obviously the easiest way would be to copy & paste the BASIC program
> from Windows Notepad into VCC, but as you all know, Windows shortcuts
> don't work in VCC, so what process do the members of this list recommend?
> Would it be best to do "everything" in Rainbow IDE (even to making a DSK
> file with the BASIC program on it)
> Or to use an RS-DOS editor to "copy & paste"
> Or to use Wimgtool.exe to paste the ascii file onto a DSK
> Or...........
>
> Thanks, and since I have a Disto SCII, I am looking forward to obtaining
> a CoCoNet eprom (more stuff to play with <grin>)
>
> Ed

Here are the currently available methods for transferring PC files to
disk images.

1) The JVC emulators come with PORT.EXE which can move files from/to
images and under DOS (ie. not WinXP etc.) also work with real floppies.
2) The Sourceforge Toolshed package associated with the Sourceforge
NitrOS-9 project contains tools that move PC files from/to disk images,
both RSDOS and OS-9.
3) MESS tools IMGTOOL.EXE and WIMGTOOL.EXE can move files from/to disk
images only. Both RSDOS and OS-9 are supported.
4) MESS coco emulation will accept Paste so it is possible to cut and
paste a file into a Coco path while running MESS emulation.
5) VCC with fdrawcmds.sys can read real floppies. Any tool that can
place files on a real floppy can then make the data available to VCC by
this indirect route.
6) CocoDisk.exe and OmniFlop.exe with the supplemental fdrawcmds.sys or
  omniflop.sys can move PC files from/to real floppies under any Windows
system. Any program that can read real floppies can then move the files
to disk images.
7) RainbowIDE and Portal-9 use either the MESS or Toolshed tools to
create and move files to disk images.
8) Drivewire moves PC files to a real Coco.
9) The shortly available CoCoNet will move files in more ways than I can
remember. :)