[Coco] CoCoNet

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 22:04:01 EST 2008

From: "Roger Taylor" <operator at coco3.com>

>>The idea is to avoid too much extra hardware, and yet still allow the
>>PC to serve up files to the CoCo. Take for instance Nitros-9
>>development. If the entire system gets built on a PC, which is a whole
>>lot quicker than doing it on the CoCo, then the PC can automatically
>>serve up the disk image to the CoCo. Perhaps the CoCo has been set up
>>with a Drivewire/CoCoNet ROM of some sort, and can boot directly from
>>the serial port.
>>
>>In the case of CoCoNet, you could even have your CoCo boot directly
>>from nightly Nitros-9 builds put up by someone on the internet,
>>theoretically.
>
> I'm going to put a mode in the PC/server driver that causes CoCoNet to
> automatically issue the DOS command on power up.  You'd be able to toggle
> the switch with a simple checkbox.  However, no OS-9 or NitrOS-9 drivers
> have been written yet.

 Roger,

 Booting and running OS-9 using a PC as the storage media is exciting. I
would love to eliminate the floppies and that old hard drive. even if it
wasn't any faster. The peace of mind would do the trick.
 I'm "Champing At The Bit" to see this happen.

 I'm curious, though. Would this bit banger driver slow the multitasking of
OS9 down much?
 If so, would my RS-232 ports using the 6551 ease the CPU load?

 Holding my breath....

George