[Coco] Radio Shack Catalogs Online Mirror

Torsten Dittel Torsten at Dittel.info
Wed Dec 24 04:26:55 EST 2008

Gene Heskett schrieb:
> That may be because the pdf's are in fact, one of the more powerfull
> compressions that can be done.  Not even bzip2 can match it.

Actually, Acrobat is optionally using ZIP for overall file compression.
However, you can individually decide for any picture object the PDF
contains, how it will be compressed. Assuming the catalog are one-page
color scans only, you would select JPG compression when creating the
file (1-Bit b&w scans might use TIFF compression instead, although my
experiments showed, using ZIP in that case for picture object
compressions is sometimes even the better choice).

If you ZIP a JPEG file, it will become only a little bit smaller (but
not much). If you ZIP  thae ZIPped JPEG again, it will get bigger (due
to the overhead), because compressed data is not more compressible if
the compression algorithm is good.

Regards,
Torsten