[Coco] CoCoNet status

Torsten Dittel Torsten at Dittel.info
Sun Dec 21 10:38:31 EST 2008

Tom Seagrove schrieb:
> My wording can get tangled up...I meant to ask if it will work under
> emulation on a PC the same way it works on the real coco...

I guess you're talking about the following scenario:

[Instead of connecting a real CoCo with CoCoNet-ROM via serial cable
(CoCo: Bit Banger port) to PC (PC: RS-232 serial port) running CoCoNet
PC-software], you want to run a CoCo emulator on the PC (with "virtual"
CoCoNet ROM providing the new commands), and the CoCoNet PC-software on
the same PC.

Sounds interesting.

However, is there any current CoCo emulator providing bit banger port
emulation? I'm not aware of any (could be done using bi-directional
parallel port I/O lines (difficult under Windows XP then) and an
external MAX232-like circuit, but should be extremely timing critical
with 115kb/s (I don't think any CoCo emulator's timing is accurate
enough, even on the fastest PC and with a (hypothtically) interrupt-free
OS). The emulated "Parallel Port Bit-Banger" would then be connected via
Null-Modem cable to the same PC's serial port.

Another approach: CoCoNet would support an RS-232-Deluxe PAK (and the
like, maybe even an ACIA supporting the 115kb/s) too, instead of the
bit-banger port (would be anyway nice to have CoCoNet-ROM installed on a
Deluxe-PAK for that purpose, replacing the original ROM). I darkly
remember, there are CoCo emulators out emulating the Deluxe-PAK by
routing the PAK's serial I/O to the PC's serial port. Then you could run
all on the same PC like described above, using either a Null-Modem cable
connecting  two PC serial ports, or even by a (to be done) virtual
(cable-less) COM scenario, cross-linking two virtual serial COM ports
under Windows.

Regards,
Torsten