[Coco] CoCoNet status

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Dec 20 09:57:54 EST 2008

At 10:48 AM 12/19/2008, you wrote:
>Hi Roger.
>This project looks very promising, and I was thinking if you had any
>idea of what the final price would be, and if there is any
>requirement besides a serial CoCo <->PC cable. ( I seem to remember
>you mentioned it can be straigth or twisted, right?)
>
>Thanks for your hard work,
>Diego

Diego,

I've had a test program running for 2 days straight on a CoCo
2.  It's a BASIC program that constantly grabs the CoCo3.com front
page and dumps the HTML to the 32-column screen.  It was at 2,759
page reads when I broke out of the loop convinced that the SAVEW
command was ready.  No rendering is done, just a dump of the HTML source.

As for ideas and possibilities, there is no limit.

Easily these things are possible:

Multi-player CoCo games (and in BASIC!)
A CoCo version of the CoCo Cafe.
Remote CoCo (another CoCo user controls your CoCo console)
Remote Control app (from another CoCo or PC on the web, turn on your
local CoCo's tape motor, play sound, store data, give responses back,
or whatever.

The trick is to use PHP or some other scripting language to handle
the requests from one CoCo and readback the response data as the
content.  Using ?variables=value modifiers in the URL, each CoCo
could set values that the other CoCo(s) knows about, thus opening a
new door for our machine.

The new bitbanger cable I'm making will be a 5 foot: female DB-9 to
male 4-pin CoCo DIN, with molded shell and plastic thumbscrews for
the DB-9 end.
I'm going to make a handful of snub cables so that people wanting to
make their CoCo wireless can just attach one of those DB-9 to
bluetooth transmitters which are completely plug-n-play, btw.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com