[Coco] CoCo f83 -- Questions on .bin file format and disk layout for non SSSD disks.

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 14:08:13 EST 2008

On 12/19/08, Brett Heath wrote:

> Ok, how picky is Basic about the length (in the preamble) and the position
> of
> the post-bytes.
>
> The reason I'm asking is that currently the meta/cross compiler saves files
> in sizes that are mutliples of 1K with a zero fill from the end-of-image to
> the
> next 1K boundary. The value currently being stored in the length field
> reflects
> reflects this. So, if I just tack the post-amble on at end-of-image
> and zero fill till
> the next 1K boundary should I expect that to work or does the post-amble
> have to be in the last sector of the file or perhaps even at the end of the
> last sector?

The LOADM command uses the LENGTH field in the preamble to determine
how many bytes to read and store into memory (starting at the address
specified in the preamble).  It expects the postamble (or a preamble
for another segment) to appear immediately following the segments last
data byte.

Any data in the file following the postamble is ignored by LOADM.

Darren