[Coco] torn on getting a coco...

Bill Barnes da3m0n_slay3r at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 12:11:52 EST 2008

--- On Tue, 12/16/08, Michael Robinson <deemcr at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> From: Michael Robinson <deemcr at robinson-west.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] torn on getting a coco...
> To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
> Date: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 12:44 AM
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 05:47 +0000, tonym wrote:
>
> 50 700 megabyte compact writable discs is what?  It's
> less than what
> floppy disks will cost you for the comparable amount of
> storage.
> Anyone who wants something other than a floppy drive on
> their COCO
> knows exactly what I'm pointing out.  They know that
> floppy technology
> is limiting and they know that it is eventually going to go
> away.

I can understand your point. We all can see, that it (floppies) will eventually go away completely, but until such a time, and the demand for other media delivery is made known in such a volume to justify the costs involved, 5.25" just won't go away, and most of these alternate media sources either need firmware updates for a CONTROLER CARTRIDGE and media to supply drivers for it, such as would be needed for OS-9. Can't use a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM for that matter, without drivers. Remember when CD tech was taking off, in the days of win9x and DOS, the only way to use a CD-ROM was to install the drivers and MSCDEX. (this was before windoze included drivers for them.)

I really do understand your point Michael, but until a new standard is accepted by all and implemented in such a way that installing and using is fairly easy, 5.25" floppy will remain the [defacto] standard.