[Coco] torn on getting a coco...

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sun Dec 14 22:21:00 EST 2008

From: Michael Robinson <deemcr at robinson-west.com>
> Two wrongs don't make a right...
>
> "Ummm, you'll make no friends calling people morons. There is also the
> distinct posibility that a few here may have higher IQs than you.
> (Statistics say that.) You are free to search eBay, CraigsList,
> Newspaper classifieds and Thrift Shops to find this stuff on your own
> too."
>
> I didn't call anyone a moron, I simply suggested that Cloud-9's
> it's a hobby and it is very expensive might be akin to calling
> customers morons.  I probably shouldn't have complained on here
> about the $120 price tag, I'll concede that.  I am not stupid
> if that is what you are suggesting which is far worse than
> being called a moron IMHO.
>
> What Boisy and Mark aren't telling anyone is that I am happy
> with my memory upgrade and I am fairly happy with drivewire.

It's not their job to tell people whether you're happy.  That's your job.  Maybe you're not a moron, but I'll let history be the judge.  You're definitely an asshole.

I've been a fan of the Color Computer since almost day one.  I went to work for the original Evil Empire a few months after they started selling it, as instructor at the Las Vegas RSCC.  I left the firm five and a half years later when they had caved to the other two evil empires, and were going to mostly sell IBM compatible systems with MS-DOS.  But in the mean time I became a Unix geek (due to Tandy putting [Microsoft] Xenix on the Model 16 &seq) and an OS-9 fan (due to its similarity to Unix and my fondness for Motorola CPU design).  (But I'm especially fond of LS-DOS).

I assembled the first (maybe the only) multi-user Color Computer system displayed in a Radio Shack Computer Center.  The OS-9 (Level One) docs described the commands involved, I made it happen..  Some wire cutting and splicing was involved.

Yeah, nowadays I'm mostly a Linux geek.  It does what I need it to do.  And has for over 15 years, when I grabbed a copy of SLS (predecessor to Slakware) for a 386 box, since my AT&T 3B1 didn't survive the trip from Kalifornia to the east coast.

OS-9 and LS-DOS don't make me any money.  That's a hobby.  Linux does, especially when I'm replacing 'doze crap with something that works.  Yeah, Linux has no native application with the full "functionality" of the latest MS-Publisher.  Those of us who have to deal with it every day don't consider that functionality all that functional.  (Yes, I have a day job).  Slightly older versions of Publisher work just fine with WINE on Linux systems.  So do most games, if that's what your nephew needs.  (I don't care whether my nephews want to play games or not, I just want them back in North America, not in southwest Asia).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

I thought about being diplomatic and polite.  Honest, I really did.  But while I was thinking about it, I accidentally bumped the button that puts my mouth on autopilot, because it said, "That's a load of crap, Captain, and you know it".    Jim Butcher, _Small Favor_