[Coco] torn on getting a coco...

Michael Robinson deemcr at robinson-west.com
Sun Dec 14 15:39:52 EST 2008

The total would be $90.  I'm not sure what point you're trying to make
by asking such a basic question.

WRONG!  It is $120 after shipping and testing are tacked on.

>Surely you realize that a Linux system would represent a better value
>for your money given your list of requirements.  I'm not sure what
>the
>point of this post is.  Is it to point out how expensive a hobby like
>the CoCo can be vis-a-vis modern commodity computing?  That's a no-
>brainer that I think everyone here appreciates and understands.  Is
>it to criticize Cloud-9's pricing policy?  Others have made it
>abundantly clear why prices are the way they are.

Why do feel the need to smack me upside the head?  Is this really
necessary?  The coco is popular with my nephew in part because it
is a simple computer.  Unfortunately, no one is doing the redesign
that Tandy wouldn't do and the COCO is dead ended.  With modern
technology, a 200 mHz or faster COCO successor could be built.
That computer would be worth a lot more than a COCO 3 and it
would be a lot of fun.  Yes you can emulate a COCO on modern
hardware, if you can get that to work.  A modern pc won't take
rom packs and there is no way to connect an actual cassette
player to it.

>Again, it seems like you're asking questions that you should already
>know the answer to.
>
>At this stage in the game, we all know that the CoCo is a hobby that
>harkens us back to another time when computing was much more simple
>and fun.  And a hobby is just that: a hobby.  People spend inordinate
>amounts of money on their hobbies, be it hunting, fishing, sailing,
>flying, etc.  The CoCo is no different.

So cloud-9 is about making money off of morons who see the COCO as a
hobby, or am I misunderstanding what you are saying.

>If you really are torn between a CoCo and a Linux system, then I think
> you may be missing the point of why Cloud-9 is in business and what
> expectations of the vast majority of our customers hold.

Let's see, my nephew likes the COCO3 and is interested in programming
it.  He is not necessarily interested in Linux where getting him a
full blown modern computer might not be popular.  Part of me says just
get him a COCO, but the other part of me says that this means doing
business with cloud-9 which I have had problems with before and am
having problems with currently.  The products seem to be of good
quality, but the customer service is zero.  When did people decide
that the COCO will never have a future that involves a modern
successor and why should they?  Tandy won't make one, but the
dragon wasn't made by Tandy and it saw some success.  The PC doesn't
fill every niche, look at the plethora of gaming systems.  The
problem with gaming systems, for the most part, is that you can't
program them.