[Coco] Coco4 thoughts

Carlos Santiago carlossantiago at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 31 22:07:06 EST 2008

Paul, et al,

My view of the Coco family of computers has always been as a hobbyist.
Over the years, I struggled with the same issues with my kids. The
reality is that back then or even today, the use of a computer for
school required knowledge of the applications. It was really not easy
to have my children work on a book report or essay until they learned
to use the applications. This was true for the Coco, Apple, Amiga,
Mac, PC, etc. I have used all of them an also worked with my  children
so they would learn to use the applications.

Anyone that is interested in a Coco as their primary machine, will
demand many new features and applications that already exist in a PC
or Mac. These users will have a hard time because they will try to
mould the Coco into something that it is not.

As for a Coco4.exe Steve Bjork is already working on this along with a
new version of Basic. These will satisfy the need for something that
runs on the PC, but it will not allow you to develop any new Coco
specific hardware.

The Coco has alway been a computer for those interested in writing
programs and adding new and interesting hardware features.  A hobbyist
computer.

My interest is to rekindle that spirit.

A new Coco4 will allow those who had great ideas about Coco software
and hardware to implement them. Imagine the ability to revive some of
the old Coco program and games with new graphics and sound. Maybe
improve some games that were limited only by the available memory or
storage capability.

In the early days, I would modify the graphics mode and colors of
games to make them look better or more like the originals. I really
enjoyed modifying and writing 6809 code for the Coco.

I would like to start a list of people that are interested  in the
idea of a Coco4 and also those of you that are capable of
contributing. This would be a project for the Coco community to
provided those of you with the type of machine you dream about. Some
of the feedback I received was that it would cost too much. Or that
the design would be too complex. I have been a hardware engineer since
1979 and have spent much time developing products that are low cost
and feature rich.

On thing that is clear is that the Coco4 may materialize in the near
future as software or hardware. If you would like a specific feature
or capability, the only way to obtain it is by being involved. I mean
in the real sense, not just to request a crazy feature to see if it
can be done. The start of al this will be a development document that
will define the boundaries of the project. Once this is complete and
agreed upon, the design work can start.

Thanks,
Carlos