[Coco] CoCoNet

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Dec 27 01:37:15 EST 2008

Some updates

CoCoNet is currently (while I type) reading a .php file from
CoCo3.com once every SECOND in 115200 bps mode, and about 2.5 seconds
in 57600 bps mode, which includes printing the readout to the WIDTH
80 screen.  It's about 11 lines of text generated by the .php
script.  The complete turnaround is 1 second in 115200 bps mode.  Impressed?

I also added 16-bit CRC checking for sector transfers, with multiple
retries on bad sectors and unresponsive/slow server.

SAVEW "URL","COCOFILE.EXT" has been confusing to some even though
SAVE still saves a disk file, only the new W means to save a web file
to the virtual disk.

It stands for Save Web File "URL" to CoCo Virtual Disk File.  The
saving is done by the PC/server to a mounted virtual disk.  To read
the web file, we simply OPEN the file since it's on a mounted
"disk".  To make a hardcopy of the file, just BACKUP (virtual drive)
to (real drive), or COPY "virtual disk file" TO "real disk file", or
just leave the file on the virtual disk since that's the idea anyway
to get away from real floppies if possible.

The last test I ran went for almost 2 days straight and it read the
front page of CoCo3.com over 16,000 times and dumped the HTML to the
CoCo screen.  This was before the 16-bit CRC checking and
unresponsive/slow server retries, etc. I added tonight.  This should
help with PCs with dial-up connections or on a bogged down network.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com