[Coco] Color computer these days... (linux)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Dec 14 15:34:57 EST 2008

There are so many Linux distributions that it's confusing at first! Basically, all the general computing distros do the same thing. That's discounting the special ones, such as MythTV and the "small" versions, that are specifically geared to do one thing best. There are several "newish" ones like MEPIS and MINT that are specifically geared toward the new user. They install easy and are ready to run right away, just like Windows XP, or easier. The only problem I've had is with the quality and support of some of the software. I need a DTP program that is well rounded in features right now in order to get rid of Windows altogether. I like the idea of free software, and there is a program I could use (Scribus). But some of the features I would need are planned but not implemented, and support is sketchy -- it depends on if someone has had and addressed a particular problem or  not. Many have been noted but not yet addressed, or will be addressed in future releases. Not good enough! There's a commercial DTP program (Pagestream) which I may try for Linux too. Cost is reasonable ($100-$150), but support is still limited, though better than some of the free stuff. I have to point out that some of the free software has a much bigger user base and support (usually through a user group) is much quicker. But there is still a lack of support and software in some areas. The whole Linux concept is different, and you have to get used to that. You can't go out and buy software for the most part, you have to install and try several packages before you know much about them. Of course you don't pay for something and find out it's not what you wanted and get stuck with it either. Most of the Linux crowd really fights the idea of commercial software, I've found. They don't care if Linux ever gets mainstream or popular with the strictly user crowd. I find that a turn-off, really, but there are bound to be some anti-establishment people in such a crowd.

------------
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:16:32 +0000 (UTC)
From: BookWorm <bookworm at cavenet.com>

> > Bookworm,
> > How long have you used Linux?
> > Just curious.

Uh...I once spent about half an hour looking for information about it.

I just hate pee seas, and anything that sounds potentialy more frustrating than
windows is out of the question.

I was going to install '98, 2k, OS/2, Linux, Xenix, AIX, and C-DOS 386. But now
with 2k & 98, 2k is a frequent pain and 98 barely works. Forget all of that. OS-
9, Disk Basic, Flex, CP/M, TRS-DOS, Geos, and ark are more fun anyway.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"