[Coco] Rainbow mags

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 21:31:03 EDT 2008

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Chuck Youse wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 21:05 -0400, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just picked up my first Coco last Friday.  The person I bought it from
>> had an almost complete set of Rainbow magazines back to day one.
>>
>> I passed on it due to lack of space and interest.  Are these actually
>> sought after?  I would have thought they'd long been scanned and made
>> available as PDF.
>>

> Dude, you must have just joined the list.  You missed a big pissing
> match on just that topic..

Good.  Hopefully that's not the norm here, nothing makes me loose interest
quicker than childish behavior online.

> If the magazines are still available, go get 'em and read 'em.  They're
> a great source of info on the Coco.

I really don't have space for them, unfortunately.  If anyone on the list
lives in Vermont get in touch with me privately and I'll give you the name
of the owner.

I'm bulging at the seams with classic computer gear of all sorts, and one
of the first things I'm clearing out / avoiding is accumulating paper
publications.

I did take a full set of CFDM newsletters since they don't occupy much
space.  Lively community from what I could gather, but sort of on the
decline in the late 90s (newest publication date I saw).

My interests run to any classic machines that are not PCs (although the
original PC and XT are sort of campy if you can find one in clean
condition).  I have:

- Atari 800
- Atari 800XL
- C64
- C64D
- C128
- C128D
- Coco 3
- Amiga 2000
- Amiga 1200
- Amiga 4000
- TI 99/4
- Heath H11
- Heath H8
- Heath H89
- TRS-80 Original
- TRS-80 MkIII
- DEC VT180
- Osborne I
- Kaypro 10
- Apple ///
- Apple ///+
- Corvus Concept
- Dimension 2000
- Mindset

Most with disk drives and good assortment of add-ons, software and
manuals.

More Apple II and IIGS computers and parts than are even possible to list
(used to do commercial development for these in the mid-80s).

Didn't want to list my Unix workstation collection, since it's not really
all classic gear.

The Coco is a welcome addition and I was luck enough to pickup a couple of
them in very clean shape.

Steve