[Coco] Amazing!

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Sun Aug 31 20:34:03 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 20:04 -0400, mike delyea wrote:
> A bit of French also helps.  I don't know if you guys in the
> U.S. have "voir dire" but you better bring your lawyer ( and then
> dispose of him/her).

Of course we do!  We have juries like everyone else, the Constitution
guarantees it.. but come to think of it, the Constitution also
guarantees against unreasonable searches, and our right to bear arms,
and due process, habeas corpus .... hmm, but the PATRIOT Act and other
nonsense these days don't pay any attention to that.

Funny how the folks in middle America are all pissed off and ready to
hand over their rights in an attempt to ward off terrorism, all because
of this World Trade Center thing.  Meanwhile those of us in New York
City (we were the ones violated, folks, and we still have a gaping hole
in the ground and people with debilitating respiratory ailments as a
result of that whole plane thing) are appalled at what the government is
getting away with under the guise of protecting freedom.  It's very
Orwellian - give up our freedoms to protect freedom.  Patrick Henry is
rolling over in his grave.  Disgusting.

Oh my, I haven't even had anything to drink.  Don't mind me.

And by the way, French isn't ALL that useful.  If you're using your
French to discern the meaning of "voir dire," you've probably got it
wrong ... At the least "voir" part.. ;)

A bientot,
C.