[Coco] RiBBS & MM/1

Ron Bihler rbihler at msn.com
Sun Aug 17 12:37:33 EDT 2008

Very interesting, Blackhawk never sounded right.  However IMS is who I was
in contact with at the time, after that I lost touch as Life pulled me in.
I married and started my Scientific Glassblowing Company.  I no longer had
time to say up all night and code new improvements to RiBBS.

So more on the MM/1, I recall it was going to be a very nice machine.
Bigger/Faster etc but still run most of the old os9 programs with a simple
re-compile.  Did that all pan out as planned?  Did it get the software
support needed?  Using Cheap PC boards would have been so very nice.
At one time it was said it would run Amiga programs or maybe os9 Amiga
programs, but that was a long time ago and my memory has faded.

I remember some of the key players on continuing RiBBS .  Charles West a
good tester in my day, and Phil Zielger had helped out a bunch, Warren Hrach
(Best tester ever).
Does anyone have contact information for Charles West?  We had many a good
conversation.

I don't recall John Donaldson, he may have taken on the port after Charles
West.  It has been enjoyable, as I have now learned Charles did release an
update to RiBBS.  At that time I was so far removed I had no idea.  Very
cool to see someone bring my Baby forward.  I had been working on a UUCP (I
think) module to tie into the University mail system.  Never got very far as
this was sort of Taboo, only University and Government people had access.
Little did I know this was the start of the Internet and the mail system we
have now.

Was there a kit version of the MM/1 as well?  I remember I once a Video Tape
of the MM/1, didn't really do much as the applications where way behind, but
it looked nice.

A good walk down Memory Lane, some very good memories for sure.

Ron Bihler