[Coco] maps

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat Aug 2 22:28:41 EDT 2008

It's been in every edition of Eric Raymond's "New Hacker's Dictionary", both the dead tree versions from MIT Press and the on-line Jargon File.

I'll admit that I first saw it less than 25 years ago, when Al Gore was first inventing the Internet but Usenet hat recently gone through the Great Renaming.

When I meet Eric at science fiction conventions we don't talk about computers or Open Source since there's no grounds for debate.  We prefer to cause heart failure in the liberals by talking about guns and and anarchism (no grounds for debate there, either, but we talk to piss off the liberals so we discuss preferences in calibers and loads).  (Yes, we're old friends -- he used to date mi esposa a decade and some before I came to the east coast, but by the time I got here he was happily married to a [beautiful] Philadelphia lawyer).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

These histrionics were probably unnecessary, since there was no reason to think anybody would be watching us with more than casual interest until I made my first move to follow Buchanon's trail, in London.  Still, somebody might check back this far later, and I always feel that if you're going to play a part, you might as well play it all the way, at least in public -- and it's hard to tell what's public and what isn't, these electronic days.
Donald Hamilton, _The Devastators_, 1965

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>