[Coco] CoBBS

Bill Barnes da3m0n_slay3r at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 00:34:32 EDT 2008

  I think I remember that one... came out in The Rainbow, Nov '85, I think.
IF indeed I am not confused about it, CoBBS could run on a single floppy, but was better on a multiple drive system so as to allow room for the message bases and the limited file transfer (ASCII only I believe) capabilities.

CoBBS itself was pure BASIC, and made no special attempts to print to anything else but the screen, unless you told it to print your log onto a printer. The Software that made it work was older, and initially made the bit-banger port I/O parallel to the keyboard/tv I/O. There was a modified version of this to use the RS-232 pack instead. Also I remember that there was some patches to let CoBBS work on a CoCo 3, unfortunately by then I was no longer running the BBS. (I even made some mods to CoBBS, but alas, they're as gone as my whole CoCo setup is lost. Whether my first wife left it for the storage people to dump, attempted to sell it, or dumped it herself years ago, I dunno.)

-Later!
 -WB-    -- BABIC Computer Consulting.