[Coco] CoCo Emulators...

steve steve at batsonphotography.com
Thu Aug 21 11:55:45 EDT 2008

I recently posted some questions on one of the emulator threads and got my answers, thanks. I'm starting a new one because I have a few more questions and comments.

I just bought a new Acer Aspire One Netbook (or mini laptop) with a solid state drive. This thing runs linux. I got it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Laptop-Processor-Linpus/dp/B001BBS76Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1219333283&sr=8-2

Anyway, As I've been looking around, I found people are booting from USB drives on this thing for various things such as installing BIOS updates or a new OS. Anyway, I got to thinking how this might make a good portable CoCo using emulators.

I've got an old 128mb USB Flash Stick that I made bootable with DOS (the Win98 Flavor), and I copied a bunch of my version of the Jeff Vavasour Emulator over to it with my Virtual Disks). For running DOS stuff, especially the Coco Emulator, 128megs would hold an entire CoCo Library.

It seems to be working well, but the Atom Processor in the Acer is much faster than the systems Vavasour's Emulators are designed for. Even if you use the slow down option, it can be too fast for some games.

Here's my questions:

1) What's the best version of DOS to run his emulators on?
2) What's a decent slowdown util that will slow today's processors down to 386 or 486 Speeds that run will with his emulators?
3) What other DOS CoCo Emulators besides Vavasour's do you recommend for Maximum Compatibility and stable operation?

Steve