[Coco] Hundreds of old CoCo Disks - Followup

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sun Aug 17 23:45:49 EDT 2008

All,

The following is kinda (in part) in response to my responses to the
whole "Rainbow on DVD" thread going on, and also in response to (IIRC)
Boisy's response on the line of "put up or give up" - or something, in
regards to past projects, etc. This post may turn out longer than
expected - I appologize.

A long time ago (July 2006), one of the members of this list (Carey
Eugene) posted advice on what to do with a bunch of old floppies. He
recently posted asking about "what happenned".

Well, when he posted, I took him up on the offer, and got a large chunk
of the floppies sent to me. Another separate chunk went to another
member, Tim Lindner. The set of floppies in each case were different - I
received the "easy to handle" floppies, Tim received all of the
copy-protected ones.

I managed to convert over 95% of the floppies I received into virtual
.DSK format images. I created a CD image of these, with an HTML linkage
page for them. The remaining floppies I couldn't copy, I sent to Tim to
become a part of his images.

I don't know the status of his portion of the project, but I consider my
end to be complete, with one caveat:

I haven't been able to distribute the images to the community.

Carey wanted this to occur - this was why he sent them to me and Tim,
not to preserve them for himself (though he did get a copy of the
images), but to preserve them for the community. I sincerely want to
honor his wishes, but I don't know what to do, so I am asking for any
and all advice and help.

Basically, what it boils down to is that:

a) I have created complete images of most of the disks I received
b) Some of these images contain software that I have reason to believe
are still being actively pursued by copyright holders for violations
c) I don't want to break up the archive
d) I don't have time or desire to attempt to weed out these possible
violations (some I know of, but there could be others lurking which I
have no idea about)
e) I have no desire to spend more time on this project beyond getting
the images distributed

I was attempting to find an individual or someone outside the USA who
could host the CD ISO for me on an FTP server in another country, and my
name would not be on the release. But that doesn't look likely to occur.
I don't want to host it myself, but I don't know what to do or where to
turn, except to the community, to figure out what to do with it.

I am not even sure whether I should "name names" as to who the most
likely copyright holder who would pursue legal action even is (did that
even make sense?)...

I humbly ask for your help and advice - I will reply/respond as I have
time. Thank you...

-- Andrew L Ayers, Glendale, Arizona