[Coco] Programs for NitrOS-9

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Apr 30 00:59:47 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, Willard Goosey wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 02:37:21PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Diego Barizo wrote:
>> >I was thinking more on programs that run in OS-9, but not on NitrOS-9.
>>
>> That should work, with possibly a <10% speed improvement.
>
>This reminds me, did you ever get your icon editor working under
>NitrOS?  Or did Boisy and his crew sort out the problem?

First, that editor wasn't all mine, I just sort of took over and fixed most of
its bugs, which it had a fair amount of.  However, it ran just fine on a
nitros9 system of about 1.16 vintage for several years.

>I'd forgotten that it broke, even with the 6809 NitrOS.

In that case, I'd suggest some syscall/get/set/stat got changed and is no
longer compatible.  Both that editor, and myram made heavy use of setstat and
getstat calls whose original docs had to be read very carefully to make them
work rock solid, which they did in those 2 applications.  If, in the fine
tuning of later releases, some of those memory block operations were adjusted
somehow, than applications such as those two would go belly up instantly.

Unforch, I can't run multiview on my machine now as all the stuff I'd cut into
cc3io, co80 and friends was apparently thrown away later, and as a result, my
3 button serial mouse is not available anymore, and I refuse to tolerate the
completely spastic operation of the std shack mouse, where a mouse click may
be registered 8 full inches away from the pointers location.  That would be
the problem if I could make multiview run but it won't even try since the
hard drive was replaced.

>After all, editing icons is a great way to waste time! :-)

I thought so at the time, :-)  And it is a pleasure, when the mouse click
actually registers where the pointer is, and the pointer moves one pixel at a
time when you move it.  Very very frustrating when it doesn't.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)