[Coco] Jeweled demo released

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Apr 20 13:25:46 EDT 2008

Before I can get the <?> Help option working in the demo, here are
some basic rules of the game:

First, the demo ends after Level 2.  You'll be taken back to the main
menu.  In the real game, the levels keep going and more stuff happens.
The Puzzle mode is not in the demo yet.

I'll post a message when the updated demo replaces the one on the
site.  I just wanted to get something in place for you to see
(something's better than nothing) as I finalize the game this coming week.

General rules, easily figured out with no docs after a few minutes of
playing...

Click on two adjacent jewels you want to Swap.  You can drag-and-drop
your first jewel over to the second jewel.  Just hold down the mouse
button and move the cursor over towards the other jewel.  Pretty smooth, huh?

If your swap doesn't result in any jewels being cleared, the jewels
will bounce back and the sound effect pretty much explains that it
was a mistake move.

Try to line up 3 or more jewels horizontally or vertically to clear
those jewels from the board.  After a clear, the above jewels will
slide down to fill the holes, and the board is constantly randomized
as you play.

Set of 3 jewels gets 10 points
Set of 4 jewels gets 20 points
Set of 5 jewels gets 30, etc.

Level 2, points double
Level 3, points triple
etc...

Multiple sets gives extra bonus points

The purple bonus bar at the bottom will progress using a similar
formula as above and the current level ends when the bar is full

As in the original Bejeweled game, there is no way to play a fast
game and sit there and count up points on a calculator manually to
figure out Exactly what's happening, so just aim for bigger sets,
more sets, and combos/multiple sets at once and you're score will
climb higher... :)

The music toggle will be added back in the updated demo.