[Coco] Compaq IA-1 CoCo 3 emulator photos

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Apr 14 12:04:37 EDT 2008

At 10:30 AM 4/14/2008, you wrote:
>Roger,
>
>This system looks perfect - I am glad you got it up and running.
>Looks a lot better than my current emulator box.
>
>I don't know if you will be able to get that USB thing working under
>DOS - usb doesn't seem to have much, if any, support there. You
>might find an easier time of getting a version of Linux running (I
>would try a scaled down version of stock Debian, personally) and
>then getting the USB working.
>
>Anyhow, good luck with it and whatever else you plan on doing to it.
>Such "hacking" takes a lot of time and patience, I know...boy, do I know.
>
>-- Andrew L. Ayers
>    Glendale, Arizona

I tried Midori Linux on the IA-1 and was not that impressed, mainly
from the lack of meat and potatoes.  There was literally nothing to
do except fire up the MP3 player and edit a document...  no zd1211rw
wireless-G support for my Belkin USB network adaptor, etc.  Midori
seems to be a scaled down version of Debian from what I read on the
web.  It looks nice but without the wireless dongle support, it's a
sitting duck.  Actually, it doesn't even come close to how nice
Fedora 9 is.  Wow.  Look out Gates.  Really.  (no, really).  :)

I fresh-installed Fedora 9 on my spare laptop yesterday (up from
Fedora 8) and was impressed to see it connect to my wireless router
within a minute from the desktop showing, automatically connecting to
the network.  I called up Firefox and went right into the chat room
on my site.  This is impressive stuff.  I did do a modprobe zd1211rw
at first from a prompt but I'm not sure if that was required.

If I can get any version of Linux that fits in 16mb and has the
zd1211rw driver already ready to use, I'll give it a shot, but it'll
be an internal Flash drive install, leaving the option to insert the
CF card to boot up MS-DOS and the CoCo stuff.