[Coco] List of copied manuals ready to be scanned

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Apr 12 21:28:19 EDT 2008

Andrew wrote:

> Fedor, if you have something unique like that, don't destroy it
> physically - destroy it digitally! In other words, scan, cut, paste,
> stitch, etc in Photochop (or Gimp, or whatever your preference is) -
> A5 is a weird size (do they they even make scanners for that?).
>
> If you are going to have to go through a lot of trouble for a scan,
> you might as well do it on the computer instead of physically. Yes,
> this will be a very painful thing to go through, and it won't be exact
> (impossible to get the alignment perfect, without using some kind of
> external frame). But you can get it really close with some time and
> effort. Just make sure you scan at a very high resolution (I would
> imagine offsets would be easier to hide at a higher res - I may be
> wrong), then once you have the document reassembled in your editing
> program, reduce it down to something reasonable for the "final"
> (although, in today's world, keeping it original size shouldn't be a
> big deal, except for those still on modems).

ISTR there was a utility that was packaged for Debian at one time that
was intended to (semi?)automatically stitch together multiple scans of
things that were too big to fit on a flatbed scanner window, such as LP
album sleeves.  Unfortunately I don't remember the name of this
program.  In a recent Ubuntu, typing 'stitch' into Synaptic brings up
hugin ( http://hugin.sf.net ) which is a tool for stitching together
photos to make panoramas.  Something like this might make a little
lighter work of scanning these odd-sized pages.

JCE