[Coco] [Color Computer] Java for the m6809

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 01:55:14 EDT 2008

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, shadow at ... wrote:

> On 7 Apr 2008 at 3:46, James Diffendaffer wrote:
>
> > I should also point out that when you eliminate the interpreter you
> > also loose the run time protections that go with it.  Granted you
> > would probably only use this for an embedded project with your own
> > code... but still.  Who even makes a 6809 anymore?
>
> According to the Wikipedia article, there are 6809 cores that can be
> programmed into FPGAs. And that will run at 40 MHz.

Well, there's also a free 6809 core if you want to do that.
I question whether any of the cores have actually been tested to that
speed.  I'm guessing that's an estimate spit out by the FPGA tools.
That also happens to require an expensive FPGA or getting a custom CPU
ASIC made which is expensive.
Several companies still make actual 6502 or Z80 cpus... usually more
powerful descendants of those two.