[Coco] Parts Give Away (John T Chasteen)

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Apr 24 11:28:28 EDT 2008

If Tony isn't interested, I am - what kind of parts are we talking
about, anyway?

I am in the middle of sorting a bunch of old surplus parts I picked up
for salvage price from a local electronics "junkyard" (Apache
Reclamation and Electronics here in Phoenix, AZ). I paid about $80.00
for the lot. I don't know if any of the parts work (I take that back, a
wad of switching transistors I found most likely all work - I tested
about 20 before I was satisfied), since there was rain water in the
bottom of the tub they were in (they were sitting unprotected outside).

I am banking on the fact they they likely do work - water can't hurt
that much, as long as they aren't rusty (I am pitching the parts with
bad rust - not worth it). Many parts were in bags, labeled, with static
foam. Others are loose. I have a feeling that these parts were all pulls
from boards, maybe something ARE was doing for sale, then lost interest
or it wasn't worth the time.

At any rate, I found a cache of old high current Darlington arrays
(ULN2003? off-hand, I can't remember), along with many other interesting
parts, plus a large handful of 74LSxx and 74LSxxx parts. A CRT
controller or two. Many of these parts date from the 1970s and 1980s -
one is an Intel 16x4 (or something obscure like that) memory chip (IIRC,
it was a PDIP-14 or PDIP-16 package) - supposedly the first product
Intel made (though mine was a later revision - the original was CERDIP).
Some PIA controllers and a 6502 is in the mix as well.

Most of these parts I plan to keep - but some I may sell. Stay tuned!

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale, Arizona