[Coco] J & M Systems floppy controller

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sun Sep 16 08:00:18 EDT 2007

>I have an old CoCo floppy controller

> I just looked at it again and the EPROM socket is empty

And should already be mapped to &H C000.

> It's a 24-pin ROM socket so obviously it can't use a 28-pin 2764 (8k)
> EPROM, but it should be able to use a 2732 (4K) EPROM, correct?  I'm just
> not sure why a 24-pin 8K ROM wouldn't be pin for pin compatible with some
> EPROM of the same capacity.  Didn't someone mention such an EPROM
> recently?

And is probably for the Motorola masked ROM, PROM, or EPROM and not pin for
pin compatible with the more common 24 pin 27XX line.  I suggest some time
crawling over the spec-sheets.

> Also, what card edge fingers can I cut away?

I would not cut any fingers away.  I would look for a spot where I could
simply cut traces to isolate what I need to isolate.  Then when I get the
wrong one I can simply solder a bridge to restore it.

> Thanks for any info.
> Roger Taylor

That is my thinking anyway.

Bruce W.