[Coco] Lucky ebay bidder

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Sep 9 14:38:31 EDT 2007

At 10:39 PM 9/8/2007, you wrote:
>Yeah, I know, thanks for rubbing it in!   ;)
>It doesn't even pay the gas for my truck, to drive to the dang shipper.
>
>What the heck is going on???
>

>Tony

I almost hate it for ya, Tony.  I was just about to bid $40 on that
listing at 15 seconds til the end, and ebay notified me that I owed
them $60 for my past listings, and it wouldn't let me bid.  So I
guess I need to pay my tab before I try that again.

Ebay is terrible at times for CoCo listings.  I ran a MINT condition
almost practically brand new 64k CoCo 1 last year in hopes to raise a
little money for the web site.  I started the aution at maybe a buck
and then crossed my fingers...    it got ** ONE *** BID, for
something like $3 or $4, can't remember.  Almost 20 people were
watching the listing.  So I expected some last second
bids.  Nope.   I lost out on the entire deal because I didn't charge
enough shipping, either.

Now, here's the absolute truth that I've found over the years.  If
one of those generic lucky "powerseller" guys ran an ugly/dirty
"as-is" 4K gray CoCo 1, "untested", "we're not sure what it is",
etc.  it usually does very well with the bids, watchers, and the ending price.

Part of the reason for this is dishonesty from sellers who sugar coat
the entire listing and even mention things like "all the lights came
on when I powered it up" as a current CoCo 2 listing says, but also
says, "I have not hooked it up to a TV yet".  He basically lied and
said that the case had lights on it that came on.  He'll probably
sell the damn thing for $60 and smile on the way to the bank.

* That's * what's going on with ebay.  Dishonest sellers make more
money than honest sellers.

--
Roger Taylor