[Coco] 2764 EPROM

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 8 09:31:18 EDT 2007

On Saturday 08 September 2007, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
>> On Saturday 08 September 2007, Roger Taylor wrote:
>>>I think some of the paks use some kind of open chip design with a
>>>solid bubble of plastic over the real estate ?
>
>From: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
>
>> Its not plastic, but quartz Roger.  That's the window that lets in the UV
>> light to erase the chip and make it ready for re-programming.
>
>What Rodger is referring to is the later packs that had a small blob of
>black plastic in the middle of the small board.  Not a whole chip in sight.

Do you mean like the brain chips in a $9.95 calculator?  Where the chip is
bonded out for a face down reflow to the board and a drop of black epoxy
baked on top of it?

Even cheaper since no socket is used, but what good are they for us when we're
making them in onesies and twosies most of the time?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)