[Coco] Personal OS-9 on Atari emulators

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Sep 7 20:01:02 EDT 2007

Paul Fitch wrote:
> I tried it and got the same results.  I suspected at the time that the
> emulators were not "up to code" as far as OSK was concerned.  The 1st disk
> CAN be read by the STEAM emulator, but, like you saw, on boot it crashes.
> The other two disks were unreadable by the emulator, which was expected.

The other two disks are (I think) in an RBF format.  But since we don't
even get to the point of needing them that probably doesn't even enter
into it.
> It seems to me that the people who did the original OSK port to the STs got
> lazy by using the onboard roms.  I guess they didn't want to write an
> assembly version.

But the Atari OS-9 version's reliance on ROM code would tend to mitigate
against imperfect hardware emulation, I would think, since we don't have
OS-9 hitting the hardware in weird ways that TOS/GEM never did.  Of
course, I don't know how much and for what exact purposes OS-9 uses the
Atari ROM code.  No doubt it still does touch bare metal at some point.
And I suppose it's possible that OS-9 calls obscure ROM routines that
almost no other TOS/GEM programs ever used.  That could show up
incomplete hardware emulation, even if OS-9 isn't directly prodding
those hardware bits.

JCE