[Coco] Another speed question

Becker, Gary Gary.Becker at amd.com
Thu Sep 6 10:25:35 EDT 2007

In a different thread, it was mentioned that the bit bang serial port
and the hires mouse adapter takes too much CPU time. I understand why.
Both devices use CPU timing loops and the interrupts have to be turned
off. This discussion caused me to think about the way that I am doing
the Serial Virtual Drive for the CoCo3FPGA under NitrOS-9. At the
present time, I turn off interrupts and poll the serial port until I get
the 256 byte sector. This takes approximately 25 mS. Since task
switching happens every 16+ mS, I am guaranteed to miss at lease one
interrupt. After the sector is received, I re-enable the interrupts. I
do this because I am afraid that I cannot service interrupts from the
serial port fast enough to keep up at 115200 bps. But I have never
tried.

It would take a major rewrite of the driver to make it interrupt driven.
Is it worth the effort? Would it be better to lower the serial port /
drive speed to keep interrupts enabled?

Gary